The APTA Draper Loan is designed to promote the physical therapy profession in Kentucky. This interest-free loan of up to $10,000 is made available to assist PT/PTA students and licensed therapists with financial need to pursue their educational endeavors.
*A one-time finance fee applies. Complete the online application.
Who is Eligible?
- Students accepted into an accredited PT/PTA program
- Licensed therapists pursuing continuing education courses
- PT/PTA professionals pursuing specialty certification
Initially, no one knew how this loan was funded. However, shortly before her death it was learned that Eloise Draper anonymously started a fund to assist students in need, who planned to work in Kentucky. In 1973, the APTA officially named the fund the “Eloise Draper Loan”.
Eloise Draper was among the first physical therapists to practice in Kentucky. Born in January 1, 1904 she received her certificate in physical therapy at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York in 1936. During her career, she provided vital care during the polio epidemic. She sought additional expertise in cardio-pulmonary therapy and developed charts that are widely accepted as “Positions for Postural Drainage”, in many current reference books. Eloise Draper was instrumental in developing Kentucky as a chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association in 1947 and successfully lobbied into law our practice act, KRS Chapter 327. She was also part of the first licensure board in Kentucky. Eloise Draper passed away in 1974.
Current funding is possible because of the many students who have benefited from this fund and fulfilled their obligation of repayment.
- Work in Kentucky for the first 2 years after graduation
- Repayment of this loan is to begin two months after graduation date
Loan Application Requirements
- Completed online application
- Proof of enrollment in accredited PT/PTA program
- Proof of current APTA membership
- Letter of explanation for financial need
- Copy of previous year’s tax return
- Copy of current credit report
- Copy of most recent school transcript